Author Topic: Contact Image Question  (Read 6468 times)

cecr

Contact Image Question
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:56:34 pm »
I've just started looking at Aqua Mail (using 1.4.0.30) with a view to adopting it as my android email SW. I'm using Cyanogenmod 11

I've come across a problem with the contact images feature. I don't have very many contact images but I set myself as a contact with an image to test the way Aqua Mail works.

I have found that if the contact I write to has an image, that image is used for both sent mail and received mail. This means if all mail is put into folders specific to the contact, eg for work, then it is difficult to see which mail has been sent and which received because they all have the same image - that of the contact.

If I send an email to someone not in my contact list, then coloured tiles are used. The image in my own contact file is ignored.

Also, if I change a contact image, Aqua Mail continues to use the previous one, despite the contact selector (in the 'To' field) showing the new image.

Is this behaviour designed this way because it seems a strange way to use the images, or is my installation not correct?

I would expect my image to be used on all sent mails, whether or not the recipient has an image, and for the new image to be adopted immediately. I would also see logic in the new image being applied to all previous sent mails.

I like most aspects of the app and I would like to adopt the Pro version as my email client but this strange behaviour is a deterrent.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:58:21 pm by cecr »

cecr

Re: Contact Image Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:46:22 pm »
I'm surprised
that no one can say that there device acts differently. Does this mean that the behaviour I see is correct, that the contact's image is used for both outgoing and incoming mails? That my image is ignored for all mails? This seems VERY strange behaviour.

If you have Aqua Mail installed, instead of just reading this post, why not say if you have the same behaviour? That will help not just me, but future users who see the same behaviour.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:08:38 am »
About using the recipient's image for sent messages -- the alternative is using the "From" image, which is always going to be "you", the owner of the device. Standard Android Email does this, seems pretty useless to me.

On changing images -- I'm surprised the changes don't get picked up.

Can you trying changing a contact's image in Gmail / web contact editor. I assume your old contact images came through Gmail sync.

Only asking to do this as a test.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

cecr

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:49:46 am »
Thank you both for replying

About using the recipient's image for sent messages -- the alternative is using the "From" image, which is always going to be "you", the owner of the device. Standard Android Email does this, seems pretty useless to me.

I think you misunderstand. At the moment, where a folder has mails sent and received to a contact, that contact's image is used. Mails from that contact have their image in the tile (as expected), but mails from me to them, also have their image on the tile where I expect mine to be used. If I don't have an image, then I expect to see a tile, not the recipient's image.

Other apps use the "From convention", ie the image used is the one the mail is 'From'. Mails TO me have the image of the sender, and mails FROM me have my image.

I know mails to/from are distinguished by a small mark next to the name, and mails I have replied to have another mark, but tablet screens are not that big, the to/from indicator even smaller and seeing an image indicating who the mail is from would make it a lot easier to distinguish from sent and received mails.

Incidentally, if neither sender or myself have an image, the tiles for us both are different. If the sender has an image but I don't, then their image is used for their mail, and a tile is used for mine. This is as expected. If we both have an image, then my image is ignored and the sender's image used for both mails in and out to that person.

I cannot though, find any way to force the app to use the image of the sender of the mail. Is that possible?

On changing images -- I'm surprised the changes don't get picked up.

Can you trying changing a contact's image in Gmail / web contact editor. I assume your old contact images came through Gmail sync. [/quote]

I changed the image through the android people app. The new image showed in the people aoo, and was visible in the contact picker, but still the old image was used. Maybe this was a cache issue or something. It is however secondary to using the Sender's image as discussed above, because let's face it, I'm not going to change a contact's image very often, and probably, clearing the app cache, or worse case, removing the account data and creating it again will probably force the new image to be attached to mails.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:16:07 pm »
@cert -- using "From" for all messages (both received and and sent by you), although consistent and predictable, would mean you'd be seeing your own contact image (or the placeholder) in the Sent folder, top to bottom.

How is this useful in any way? You already know who you are and what your contact image is (if there is).

Besides, stock Android Email in 4.4 does this, and I remember seeing a bug report at b.android.com complaining about it.

On the contact images editing issue, can you reboot the phone and see if that fixes it? Then we'll know if this is indeed a caching issue (but one more thing did come to my mind).

cecr

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:19 pm »
@cecr: use show sent as from self in Smart folder settings

I've down all that. Smart folder was active on installation and I left it on even though I had no intention of using it.

In addition to the options you selected, I also selected Starred Messages, even though I rarely use stars, and Show Sent from Self.

However, I don't see sent messages in Smartfolder, only received. Smartfolder concept isn't new, and I don't see sent messages in other software using it. I suspect you don't actually understand what I'm saying, and are making assumption based on how you use the app and what you expect.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app TWICE ie 2 times just to make it clear, and have toggled smartfolder settings, but it CANNOT do what I expect because messages I SEND do NOT appear in smartfolder.

Now, if someone is going to say that SENT messages should appear in Smartfolder, then we have another problem. However, as it is, Smartfolder would not appear to offer a solution.

Kostya, thank you for trying to understand what my objective is. You ask a very relevant question, why do I want to see my own image? Well, I deal with 6 email accounts every day, and receive up to 300 mails EVERY day. The average is about 230, every day. Weekend the numbers is about 100, which have to be dealt with Monday.

The mails have to be grouped together according to subject matter, or correspondent otherwise it is impossible to find them later on - can you image trying to find a particular email from say 6 weeks ago if they are all in one folder with 30 (days) x 230 (mails) + 6 x 100 = 7500?

When I receive an enquiry, all mails to/from that person are kept together in their own folder. Sometimes, I may be dealing with 2 or more people at this stage, and all mails are kept together to provide a record of what has been said. As work progresses, that folder may contain sub-folders dealing with specific self contained elements of the work, eg I am building a car, one folder may be concerned with the engine, another with the bodywork, another with the interior. There may be another folder with general discussions about time span, delivery date, cost, maintenance options etc.

So, if I have a folder with say, 600 emails in it, from say 2 others and myself, it is much easier to find the emails I want if it is obvious who they are from/to. The contact image is deal for that because it is much larger than anything else and I don't have to struggle to read small writing, a picture is instantly recognisable. Now, if I have been in correspondence with one person and have exchanged 90 mails with them, if I am looking for a particular one that I sent, with your app, I have to read the subject and/or date of all 90 because they all have the image of the contact (which is not necessarily a photo of him, it is simply some visual marker). If however, mails I sent have my image (visual marker) I only have to scan through the ones I sent. Now, if you had to do that on a regular basis to find specific emails, wouldn't you want a easy way to narrow down the mails you have to scan through?

Here's why I think an image is the best way to do it, with any email app, not just yours:
Smartfolders don't contain sent mails so mails I send can't be found there.

Smartfolders are a mix of mail from all accounts, it gets crowded in there very quickly with the volume of mails I get. So looking for a mail from one person is difficult with hundreds of mails from dozens of other people.Why mix mails about engines with those about paintwork?

Sent folder wouldn't work because it would contains mails I send to everyone, it gets crowded and hard to find one particular recipient amongst dozens (pretty same argument as for Smartfolders but in reverse direction)

Mails have to be kept together for achieve purposes to provide a complete record of everything said by everybody, keeping things in the Inbox and Sent folder mixes all mails up and doesn't keep them together according to subject. Eventually, each completed piece of work has to be archived and it is best to keep mails together from the start, both for ease of use as work progresses, and because sifting out mails for archiving later on, means going through all mails and carries the risk of accidentally misfiling an email so it can never be found. far better to keep the isolated right from the start, less risk of them getting lost and much easier to refer to when needed.

Now, I cannot explain any other way why I think your use of contact images is wrong. Other apps that use images do it the way I am trying to use them: images sent by me have my image (visual marker) images received by me have the image (marker) of the sender.

So, if you think your app uses images correctly, and others are wrong, just say so. Or, now that I've explained again, how I expect Images to be used, you agree that your implementation is not the optimum, then just say that. There are other apps out there that use images the way I (and others I've spoken to) expect, so its not as if what I ask for is impossible. However, your app has the nicest UI of those I've tested and I would prefer to use yours, but, functionality beats appearance, so if its a choice between a nice appearance but not doing the job, or doing the job well but not looking quite so nice, then I'll have to take the not quite as nice appearance.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »
1:

Sent messages *should* appear in the smart folder, when you enable this:

- Long press the account
- Options and folders
- Composing and sending
- The relevant setting there is labeled "Sent in Smart Folder"

This will only show messages from each account's Sent folder, so if you move sent messages to other folders, those won't

2:

Now the setting in the "Smart Folder" section, in application (not per-account) settings, labeled "Show Sent as from Self" -- will use your own contact images ("as from Self") for those sent messages in the smart folder.

This is only for the Smart Folder, where you might have a mix of your own sent messages from multiple accounts (see "1") and incoming messages from multiple accounts.

Each individual account's Sent folder will still use the first recipient's image -- otherwise, since an account's Sent folder only has 1) sent messages 2) only sent from this account, then you'd be looking at your own contact image row after row.

3:

Yes, I do not think that showing the user's own image for all sent messages, the way stock Android Email does it, is useful in any shape or form.

I think showing recipient images is more useful, and that's what Aqua does (I'm still talking about account specific Sent folders, not the Smart Folder).

Others may have a different opinion, and make their apps work differently. That's fine with me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:34:31 pm by Kostya Vasilyev, Aqua Mail »