Author Topic: Viewing FAQ/help using Opera browser. Don't use "off road"  (Read 2744 times)

beaky

Viewing FAQ/help using Opera browser. Don't use "off road"
« on: June 23, 2014, 05:02:11 pm »
The help/FAQ for aqua mail relies on a browser, as do other apps with similar help features.

Users should be aware that if you have opera browser installed, and choose to use "off road" mode, you may have difficulty reading the FAQ/Help pages for aqua mail.
I believe "off road" mode is on by default in opera mini, most likely to be found on phones rather than tablets. I have not used opera mini on android so have no first hand experience.
Everything works absolutely fine if you use any other browser, or with Opera turn off "off road", so this is not a problem just a minor irritant.

What is "off road"?
"off road" mode routes all browsing requests through a proxy operated by or for opera, and HTML code is compressed and the page simplified to reduce the data demand on your phone tariff. Typically data that will not be visible is not transferred. It can result in enormous savings, but does not work well with pages like the aqua mail help/FAQ.
What should happen in the FAQ is that clicking on an item heading opens the explanatory text below it. I think in a normal browser, all of this text is actually loaded when the page first loads, but remains hidden, whilst in "off road" mode, either Opera does not display it because it has saved bandwidth by not loading it, or it displays a cached version, so shows you an answer you or someone else requested before, on a different topic! I have seen both behaviours.
I am not sure if any changes to the page coding could counter this odd behaviour, but as every other browser is fine, and so is Opera with the "off road" setting disabled, I cannot see any point in spending effort on this! Just be aware it happens.

Dave Beakhust - via tapatalk