Author Topic: DNS Changed and AquaMail Pro Quit Working  (Read 6728 times)

bobc

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
DNS Changed and AquaMail Pro Quit Working
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:21:23 am »
I use AquaMail Pro on Android 2.2.1.

Been working great for past year, then needed to change the DNS for my domain name. I got Outlook on my laptop working again, did require changing the SMTP port from 25 to 8025, but same Outlook settings not working in Aqua Mail. When I go through Manual Account Setup and use the same Outlook settings I get:

"Incoming mail server (IMAP): Error connecting."

"Outgoing mail server (SMTP): Error connecting."

Restart hasn't helped.

I'd appreciate any ideas to try.

Thanks,

Bob

scanno

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 43
Re: DNS Changed and AquaMail Pro Quit Working
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:54:04 pm »
I use AquaMail Pro on Android 2.2.1.

Been working great for past year, then needed to change the DNS for my domain name. I got Outlook on my laptop working again, did require changing the SMTP port from 25 to 8025, but same Outlook settings not working in Aqua Mail. When I go through Manual Account Setup and use the same Outlook settings I get:

"Incoming mail server (IMAP): Error connecting."

"Outgoing mail server (SMTP): Error connecting."

Restart hasn't helped.

I'd appreciate any ideas to try.

Thanks,

Bob
Then it was not a simple DNS change if it requires you to change the SMTP port. That means that there were changes to the SMTP server / IMAP server / firewall / proxy also.
From where did you try to connect from? Your laptop and phone are on the same (wireless) network when trying to connect yo your server? Or was your phone on the mobile network?


bobc

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: DNS Changed and AquaMail Pro Quit Working
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:22:40 pm »
The DNS change was moving from my home network ISP to having the web hosting company that provides my email server also start providing my DNS services, so you're right - not simple - a different provider and network.

The laptop and phone are on different networks - the phone is on the mobile network (T-Mobile).

Thanks for helping.


scanno

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 43
Re: DNS Changed and AquaMail Pro Quit Working
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:26:11 am »
The DNS change was moving from my home network ISP to having the web hosting company that provides my email server also start providing my DNS services, so you're right - not simple - a different provider and network.

The laptop and phone are on different networks - the phone is on the mobile network (T-Mobile).

Thanks for helping.
To pinpoint the problem you should eliminate as many variables as possible. So your laptop has a working connection. To rule out that T-mobile is blocking the port you are using, you should use a known working wifi connection to try out the aquamail connection. If both your laptop and phone can reach you smtp/imap server then it is a problem with the T-mobile network. If aquamail still does not work, then it are settings on your phone.

From my experience with T-mobile in my country is that they are using a SMTP proxy. The only way I could sent an email using my own SMTP server was using a SSL connection.

bobc

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: DNS Changed and AquaMail Pro Quit Working
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:53 am »
I solved the problem by creating a new account and setting Security Type to "STARTTLS (accept any)" for Incoming and Outgoing. I used the std ports 110/25. For Incoming I set Server Type to POP3 instead of IMAP.

I probably could of gotten the original account to work if Aqua Mail would let me change the Server Type from IMAP to POP3, but it's disabled - it appears that once an account is created the type can't be changed; is this by design or a bug? The original account was created using IMAP by Aqua Mail's Automatic (not Manual) account setup.

I actually renamed the original account in order to keep it because I need the contents of the Sent folder. I wish I could merge the old account's Sent folder with the new account so that I could delete the old account.

Thanks.

Rachel Ambler

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 140
  • Responsis, plura interrogandi
    • Random Thunks
Re: DNS Changed and AquaMail Pro Quit Working
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:49 pm »
I probably could of gotten the original account to work if Aqua Mail would let me change the Server Type from IMAP to POP3, but it's disabled - it appears that once an account is created the type can't be changed; is this by design or a bug? The original account was created using IMAP by Aqua Mail's Automatic (not Manual) account setup.

Not knowing Kostya's code I'd hazard a guess and say that there's more to mail setup that simply defining a Server type - for example IMAP can have subfolders (labels) and can subscribe to folders via push - non of which are available on POP3.

So yeah, I'd say it's probably by design since you're trying to plug your grounded 3 prong 120V AC plug into an ungrounded 2 prong socket (at least in the US that makes sense, dunno about other territories).

Kostya Vasilyev

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12742
Re: DNS Changed and AquaMail Pro Quit Working
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:46 pm »
Sorry about jumping here late --

-- yeah, there are many things in the app's storage that differ depending on the mail protocol.

FWIW, I'm not aware of a way to change between mail protocols in Outlook or Thunderbird. It's create + delete as well (and for some accoun types, Outlook wants me to use the system Control Panel... :) )

Glad it's working for you now.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/