Author Topic: German  (Read 331561 times)

mikeone

Re: German
« Reply #300 on: December 20, 2015, 11:52:05 pm »
Some more thoughts about AquaMail's "Smart Folder":

Outlook: Description of "Smart Folder"

A Smart Folder, also known as a saved search or a search folder, is a virtual folder that dynamically displays a set of search results.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Save-a-search-by-using-a-Smart-Folder-6c7e2e39-21a9-479c-8e16-756af17290c6

Ein intelligenter Ordner, auch als gespeicherte Suche oder Suchordner bezeichnet, ist ein virtueller Ordner, in dem Suchergebnisse dynamisch angezeigt werden.

https://support.office.com/de-de/article/Speichern-einer-Suche-mithilfe-eines-intelligenten-Ordners-6c7e2e39-21a9-479c-8e16-756af17290c6

Thunderbird: Description of "Unified Folder"

Unified Folders (originally named 'Smart Folders' when it was added in 3.0) is a folder pane view which looks like a global inbox account by merging the contents of all inbox folders (both POP, IMAP and local folders) from all accounts. It also shows the inbox of each account as a child folder of the unified Inbox account. Any messages in an inbox shows up in both the root of the unified Inbox, plus the child folder of the unified Inbox for that account.

Each account still displays any child folders of the inbox, only its inbox folder has been "moved" away from the account. This does not, however, change where and how messages are stored. In other words, Unified is just another way to view your folders, similar to what you can do with a saved search (a type of virtual folder).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox
[> search for "Smart Folder"]

In summary
With these descriptions in mind the German wording "Intelligenter Ordner" could be misleading the users that this folder would be just an "Intelligent Search Folder", but the implementation in AquaMail is indeed precisely not some kind of a "Search folder"...

Sorry still no satisfactory solution.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:55:05 pm by mikeone »

nica

« Reply #301 on: December 21, 2015, 12:38:37 pm »
@mikeone:
"Smart Folder" is  generally very inaccurate term. I showed what others are doing with translation.

Following your thoughts we will have to replace the english (!) term "Smart Folder". Ok. :)

I am fine with english "Global Folder" instead and in german "Globaler Ordner".

mikeone

« Reply #302 on: December 21, 2015, 01:11:57 pm »
@mikeone:
"Smart Folder" is  generally very inaccurate term. I showed what others are doing with translation.

Following your thoughts we will have to replace the english (!) term "Smart Folder". Ok. :)

I am fine with english "Global Folder" instead and in german "Globaler Ordner".
@nica
"Smart Folder" is a very accurate term... in English, of course.  :D
Rather, it has not been translated into German, because: better a correct term in the original language as a bad translation 8)

Another suggestion from my side would be "SmartBox" - as you already know I am a fan of the term "Smart...",  since AquaMail is really a very smart implemented app :) - and I guess, most of the Germans which are using an Android device are a) "smart" and b) they knowi the term "box".

However, your suggestion "Globaler Ordner" (engl.: Global Folder) could also make sense.
> but certainly there could be a good reason why the original wording is "Smart Folder", not "Global Folder" 8)

I’m very interested in the option of some other forum members.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:54:38 pm by mikeone »

mikeone

« Reply #303 on: December 25, 2015, 12:26:23 am »
Smart and not Global because one can individually select folders to be part or not of Smart folder.

In Roman languages (e.g. French)  "smart"  is not applicable, it means nothing here. Instead, "Unified box" is used.  In Arabic, it's "Unifying folder" or "Unified folder"  (same spelling, different pronunciation).
Hi Paris Geek,
smart (clever) in French could mean malin...??

nica

« Reply #304 on: December 25, 2015, 11:30:03 am »
"Unified" / "Unifiée", in german ("vereinheitlicht") is not a common term for mail folders. Maybe we end up with "Gemeinsamer Ordner" which was already suggested in this thread.

mikeone

« Reply #305 on: December 25, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »
"Unified" / "Unifiée", in german ("vereinheitlicht") is not a common term for mail folders. Maybe we end up with "Gemeinsamer Ordner" which was already suggested in this thread.
Hi nica,
I'm afraid "Gemeinsamer Ordner" could be misinterpreted as "Shared Folder" which could be used by different people - same like a shared calendar in Microsoft Exchange

The Smart Folder in AquaMail implemented by Kostya is a unique feature which is indeed not comparable with other email clients. That's the reason for the English wording "Smart Folder" and not just "Combined Folder" or "Unified Folder" or...

For example: AquaMail's "Combined drafts" (also in Account list) is in fact just a combined folder that shows drafts for all accounts in one special unified folder (but then not any more in the individual accounts).

Therefore the Smart Folder is a kind of "Virtual" folder that just shows specific messages from different accounts / different folders in one single box (it's not really a "folder"). However, the messages itself will remain stored on their original places (folders).

How about "Virtuelle Box" or (even more like the original English wording) "SmartBox?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 04:23:19 pm by mikeone »

nica

« Reply #306 on: December 25, 2015, 05:39:42 pm »
The Smart Folder in AquaMail implemented by Kostya is a unique feature which is indeed not comparable with other email clients.
I think it's comparable. It is a special kind of "Smart Folders", which others call "Smart Folder" and provide as virtual folder for "saved searches" - see above. But in AquaMail there are less features for it. You can not use search terms (like in other clients), but you can select locations (=folders).

This is why I suggested "Intelligenter Ordner" at first (for me the best term) :)

I will leave this discussion now, because I haven't got any new thoughts. Kostya will have to decide himself wether he makes changes or not.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #307 on: December 25, 2015, 10:41:27 pm »
Re: Kostya will have to decide himself wether he makes changes or not

Well, I do like the idea of translating it to German, to make it 1) more like "all other apps" and 2) easier to grasp for new users.

What's next then?

Is "Intelligenter Ordner" -- *the* -- suggested translation?

Should I just dive in in with a mass search / replace?

( sed -i ... )
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

nica

« Reply #308 on: December 29, 2015, 01:27:27 am »
Hello, I was surprised to see that there was a decision for "SmartBox".

From my point of view this was not the best choice ;). I showed some friends the UI of AquaMail with SmartBox at the top. They thought of similar things like "Fritz!Box" (router model) and mailbox, which is associated in german language with a voice mail system. But one of them supposed, that there could be some magic, which is done by the SmartBox. ;)

Now I see this result:
I restarted a discussion about translation of Smart Folder, and there was a discussion again about it, thank you - though it would have been better, if some more users were involved.

The new term is not the one I would see as the best one, (e.g. a folder is not a box). But at least we get rid of the english term "folder". So bottom line it's a step forward.

StR

« Reply #309 on: December 29, 2015, 02:10:37 am »
(e.g. a folder is not a box)

Computer terms do evolve.
Before the intervention of Windows, "directory" was the common term for the entity containing folders on a storage device. With Windows, that term got replaced by "folders" (except maybe for some technical people, - sysadmins and (at least  some) software developers).
"Folders" is widely used for the "collections" of files and "collections" of mail.
(E.g. check it is very common to hear: "You should check your Spam-folder...")

"Mailbox" term is old and comes from the "snail" mail. With that comes some variations (mbox, box, ..)  That terminology is very common, and it is present in the e-mail-releated programs, apps, and services (e.g. pobox.com)
Interestingly enough, several large online storage services also use "box" for "storage":
dropbox, box.com, ...

So, at least in English, there is a large overlap between "folder" and "box" in how they are used in the "digital world", while in the "analog" world they are very different.
 :)

mikeone

« Reply #310 on: December 29, 2015, 02:24:38 am »
(e.g. a folder is not a box)

Computer terms do evolve.
Before the intervention of Windows, "directory" was the common term for the entity containing folders on a storage device. With Windows, that term got replaced by "folders" (except maybe for some technical people, - sysadmins and (at least  some) software developers).
"Folders" is widely used for the "collections" of files and "collections" of mail.
(E.g. check it is very common to hear: "You should check your Spam-folder...")

"Mailbox" term is old and comes from the "snail" mail. With that comes some variations (mbox, box, ..)  That terminology is very common, and it is present in the e-mail-releated programs, apps, and services (e.g. pobox.com)
Interestingly enough, several large online storage services also use "box" for "storage":
dropbox, box.com, ...

So, at least in English, there is a large overlap between "folder" and "box" in how they are used in the "digital world", while in the "analog" world they are very different.
 :)
I agree with StR.

Hello, I was surprised to see that there was a decision for "SmartBox".

From my point of view this was not the best choice ;). I showed some friends the UI of AquaMail with SmartBox at the top. They thought of similar things like "Fritz!Box" (router model) and mailbox, which is associated in german language with a voice mail system. But one of them supposed, that there could be some magic, which is done by the SmartBox. ;)

Now I see this result:
I restarted a discussion about translation of Smart Folder, and there was a discussion again about it, thank you - though it would have been better, if some more users were involved.

The new term is not the one I would see as the best one, (e.g. a folder is not a box). But at least we get rid of the english term "folder". So bottom line it's a step forward.
@nica:
I think "Box" could be a good replacement for "Folder" and the new wording "SmartBox" should be sufficient and understandable also for Germans.

"Smart" is quite a common phrase also in Germany regarding electronic devices like Smartphone, SmartWatch, Smartband (e.g. Sony's Smartband SWR10 ), Smart TV ..

.... and a "Box" is a container for various things (German terms: "Behälter", "Kiste", "Schachtel",...).

In addition to that "Box" is a common used term also in german language, e.g.:

"box (container)" <> "Box (Behälter)"
"lunch box"           <> "Lunch-Box"
"horse box"           <> "Pferdebox"
"mailbox"              <> "Mailbox"
"parking space"    <> "Parkbox"
"Jukebox"              <> "Musikbox"
"Toolbox"              <> "Werkzeugbox"
"collecting box"    <> "Sammelbox", (e.g. "Zeitschriftenbox")
"file box"               <> "Ablagebox"
... and so on

In summary, I agree with your statement "But at least we get rid of the english term "folder". So bottom line it's a step forward".

And "SmartBox" sounds a bit "magic", not even something ordinary ;-)

Regards
Mike
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:06:48 am by mikeone »

mikeone

« Reply #311 on: December 31, 2015, 09:58:24 pm »
http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=2695.msg11851#msg11851

Here are the German translations for the recent dev build 1.6.1.0-dev1;

<string name="prefs_ui_nav_drawer_accounts">Konto-Panel</string>
<string name="prefs_ui_nav_drawer_accounts_off">Aus</string>
<string name="prefs_ui_nav_drawer_accounts_tap">Ja, tippen zum Anzeigen</string>
<string name="prefs_ui_nav_drawer_accounts_always">Ja, immer sichtbar</string>
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:03:37 pm by mikeone »

mikeone

« Reply #312 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:24 am »
1.6.1-dev1.8

<!-- strings_search.xml -->

<string name="search_full_text_on">Suche in Kopfzeilen und Text</string>
<string name="search_full_text_off">Suche nur in Kopfzeilen</string>

<!-- strings_about.xml -->

<string name="about_check_database">Integritätsprüfung</string>

<!-- strings_prefs.xml -->

<string name="prefs_compose_rich_font_color">Rich Text Schriftfarbe (beim Senden)</string>
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:44:09 pm by mikeone »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2016, 02:32:48 pm »
Thank you, DE is complete.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

mikeone

« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2016, 11:19:56 pm »
Version 1.6.1.0-dev2

<!-- strings_account_special.xml -->

<string name="prefs_category_special_silent_summary">Spezielle 'Nachts und Wochenende' Einstellungen für dieses Konto</string>
<string name="prefs_category_special_send_notify_summary">Spezielle Sendebestätigungen für dieses Konto</string>