Author Topic: Folders: sync with  (Read 6805 times)

someone

Folders: sync with
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:47:17 am »
In an imap account I have a special folder [Hold] where I like to keep messages.

In the folder options, there is a choice of
No sync
Sync with.... (names of the other folders)
Etc.

If I choose sync the Hold folder with "sent folder" for example, does that mean that if I delete files from the sent folder they will also be deleted from the Hold folder?

Ideally, I want to use the Hold folder to keep a few messages safe. But there seems to be no way to copy a message from the Inbox to that folder even though it appears in the list of folders for that account (see image) . Am I doing something wrong? What do I have to do to make Hold available to transfer messages into it?
Thank you.

someone

Re: Folders: sync with
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »

To keep messages safely (archive them), one best way I found is to set a pop3 account on PC (with Thunderbird for example) and save messages on hard disk.

--
Thank you for replying. That is exactly what I do. I use imap (to which I am new) on my android device and pop3 on my pc with Thunderbird. I use my android imap device to read my mail. Every few days I download my accumulated emails to my pc keeping what I want to save on the pc.

My problem is that, because I get a lot of mail in 5 accounts, when I delete messages on the imap device they quickly accumulate in the delete folder. So I like to occasionally empty the contents of the deleted folder which of course deletes them from the server. That is fine for the majority which is spam, but among the emails I delete after reading on the android device are some I would like to keep on the server for later download to the pc. The question is how to keep these on the server for later pc download *even though I delete them from the Android device to preserve space*. That is why I thought to transfer the emails I wanted to retain for later  pc download to a special hold folder. Is there a better way to do this?

someone

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »
Yes, ther is another way: you use "delete" to suppress emails on server, and "hide (keep on server)" feature to remove them from your smartphone view and keep them on server. Does that answer your question? Rgds

--
But that is an all or nothing solution in the account settings. No?

Can I have both delete and hide options available in the same account? So I can permanently delete some emails, but hide other emails in the same account?

That is what I'm trying to do. Delete some emails permanently but only hide others.

someone

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 05:40:08 pm »
Yes you can have both in same account. This can be done at email level

--
That would work. I now only have the delete option. Where in the settings do I make both available?
Thank you again.

someone

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:18:57 pm »
In message list view, select the message you wish to delete or hide, by gently pushing the icon, then go to option menu

--
Aha. I was looking for the icons in the message list toolbar.

What you describe works, though it would save a step if both hide and delete could have icons in the toolbar. At present it's one or the other.

Thank you for your help.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 02:23:01 am »
Back to your "Hold" folder question -- "Sync as Incoming" means "one more incoming-type folder"... it does not mean "merge messages from two folders in one Inbox".

So if you tap "Hold", and choose "Sync as incoming", you'll have it *alongside* the main Inbox, but as a separate folder.

Maybe the wording could be better... I was mostly trying to convey the idea that the folder won't be treated in a "special" way -- e.g. "sent" or "drafts".
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

someone

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:35:27 am »
Back to your "Hold" folder question -- "Sync as Incoming" means "one more incoming-type folder"... it does not mean "merge messages from two folders in one Inbox".

So if you tap "Hold", and choose "Sync as incoming", you'll have it *alongside* the main Inbox, but as a separate folder.

Maybe the wording could be better... I was mostly trying to convey the idea that the folder won't be treated in a "special" way -- e.g. "sent" or "drafts".
Thank you Kostya.