Author Topic: Deleting Emails - POP  (Read 3736 times)

Dewcal

Deleting Emails - POP
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:18:08 am »
As a new user of AM Pro, I am gradually finding out all the customisations that are possible.

I know you can have a global delete setting (I will have some 5 email accounts) and have it set to move items to the deleted folder and then sync with server  when I exit Aqua Mail.

There are occasions when I receive email that I do not need on the phone and would deal with it when I download those mails on my PC.  Coming from Blackberry, whenever I deleted an email I had the option to "delete on phone & leave on server" or "delete on phone & server".

Is there a setting in Aqua Mail that would allow this for each mail I go to delete?  Have I missed something?

Thanks
Dave

Rachel Ambler

• Responsis, plura interrogandi
    • Random Thunks
Re: Deleting Emails - POP
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:42:07 am »
As a new user of AM Pro, I am gradually finding out all the customisations that are possible.

I know you can have a global delete setting (I will have some 5 email accounts) and have it set to move items to the deleted folder and then sync with server  when I exit Aqua Mail.

There are occasions when I receive email that I do not need on the phone and would deal with it when I download those mails on my PC.  Coming from Blackberry, whenever I deleted an email I had the option to "delete on phone & leave on server" or "delete on phone & server".

Is there a setting in Aqua Mail that would allow this for each mail I go to delete?  Have I missed something?

Thanks
Dave

Dave,

Don't use POP3 myself and I'm sure Kostya could provide more information, but this is from the FAQ:

What are the options for deleting messages?
There are three methods to delete messages.

The choices are: “Move to Deleted folder first” / “Delete from the server immediately” / “Hide in the app, keep on the server”. The initial default setting is “Move to Deleted”.

When using IMAP, you can synchronize the [ Deleted ] folder with the server if you like.

Deleting messages from Gmail requires that they first be moved into the Deleted folder, which in turn has to be set up to synchronize with “[Gmail]/Trash”. When setting up a Gmail account, AquaMail sets this up automatically.

For POP3, the Deleted folder is local, so don’t forget to empty it from time to time (this will delete messages from the server).
The default method is specified under “Options and folders” separately for each account (long press the account in the main screen to get there). The setting is called “Deleting messages”.

Changing the default changes the icon you see when viewing a message or when selecting several messages in a message list.

You can apply a non-default delete method in a message list by using the menu (or the “three dots” button which Google calls “overflow”).

So for example, you can keep the default method as “Move to deleted”, and if you see spam messages you’d like to delete immediately, select them, then use the Menu / Overflow button and choose “Delete now”.

This would lead me to believe that there is no option to delete an email from the server at delete time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:43:46 am by Rachel Ambler »

Dewcal

Re: Deleting Emails - POP
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:05:40 pm »
Rachel,

Thanks for reply and the use of the "overflow".  I have ended up using this but am still not quite sure what "hide" means in terms of how many of these deleted emails are still somewhere on my phone!  I find the Android terminology very different from my old Blackberry....

Dave