Author Topic: Security Issues  (Read 8285 times)

splammie

Security Issues
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:18:26 pm »
Hello,

I just started using Aquamail 2 days ago and since then I've gotten "suspicious" sign on warnings from Google. Now, I've gotten these before (for explainable activity), but what really bothers me is the location of the sign on attempts - I live in New York City:

For email 1:

Saturday, June 1, 2013 7:30:15 PM UTC
IP Address: 174.141.213.22

For email 2:

Saturday, June 1, 2013 7:30:06 PM UTC
IP Address: 174.141.213.17

A few questions:

Why is my email being accessed from those locations? Why is that necessary? I've never gotten warnings from the iPhone email app, or other email apps.

What sort of security does Aquamail have to protect my passwords? Is personal information ever sent to Aquamail servers?

UPDATE: I just checked my logs in Gmail and found a bunch of entries for Aquamail where Aquamail accesses IMAP servers in several different states. Why was Google thinking this was a suspicious sign on and not all of the other times?

Thank you,
Garrett

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
Re: Security Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:23:05 am »
1. Suspicious warnings from Google? What do they say?
2. The access point are choosen from Google itself. Your email passes several servers until they arrive on Aquamail or whatever email client. Also have in mind that the source code of an email also includes the server which where used from the sender until the arrive at a google server. Nothing suspicious in that.
3. Al passwords and the email itself are transmitted via SSl or TLS, there is no other way in case of Google.
4. AquaMail never contacts other servers than POP3 or IMAP of the account you configured.

But, some sender use servers which are know as SPAM provider or sending suspicious or infected emails through those, so Google may warn you if those are used.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:25:23 am by Thomas »

splammie

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:59:31 am »
I think you might have misunderstood me. Google sometimes sends out emails of suspicious login attempts. For example:

--------------------
Hi ******,

Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account - ******@gmail.com.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Saturday, June 1, 2013 7:30:06 PM UTC
IP Address: 174.141.213.17

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately.

Reset password

If this was you, and you are having trouble accessing your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at [removed]
Sincerely,
The Google Accounts team

-----------------------------

If it was a Google IMAP server, why would Google send me a warning that a suspicious login attempt was made?

Thanks,
Garrett

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:24:09 pm »
Ah, this warning appears if someone tries to get access to your account or highjack it with a WRONG password several times. Nothing to do with AquaMail.
As suggested for own security, change your password in Google.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:03:44 am »
I'd like to reiterate:

My app does not use any sort of server infrastructure to access your mail. Any and all account access happens directly from the device, connecting directly to the servers.

Now those warnings may not be legit all the time -- I've gotten one with my own home WiFi router's IP address, which is how my devices connect to the Internet... but... you can never be too safe, so yes, changing the password is recommended.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/