Author Topic: New User - Desired "draft" Autosave Behavior  (Read 3588 times)

mbon

New User - Desired "draft" Autosave Behavior
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:50:53 am »
Hi:

I have been a struggling user of personal email since my first Hotmail account.  After several years and providers, I chose gmail for my publicly avail accounts and a small imap provider for my personal email.  My intent was to suck as much spam (by using gmail for all questions, on-line purchases, support requests , etc) and this strategy has worked well.  With Android, though, the choice of email client cam have an enormous impact on usability and frustration level.

I don't know the versioning details as I moved from Motorola Droid phones to Samsung, but features, behaviors,  and interfaces change on the "default" Gmail client with certainty only of changes,  inconsistent interfaces,  and frustrating "enhancements" made to meet the requirements of licensees, carriers,  or possibly insane "do-good" product managers who want to add "coolness" and perhaps attract new users/victims for future cool attacks (entirely self referential - I was one).

Before more blather: Aquamail is amazing product which obviously has an enormous amount of work and refinement.  I have to say that aside from my fascination with apps requiring root privileges, which can be irresistable at times, Aquamail seems to me to be incredibly complete, configurable, and logically designed, especially for those of us who need push email regardless of any carriers attempt to block near real-time email activities as many of us expect from our years of IMAP emaill use.

Gmail default (Samsung Galaxy 3 Verizon) email client adds a question for "save draft" when switching apps.  Previous behavior automatically saved draft.  In contrast, the default imap/pop client saves a draft automatically.  One or both clients requires the user to select edit to send the draft later,  but also automatically re-dates the draft prior to sending.  When a "save draft?" pop-up appears, if I chose "no" the draft disappears completely.

If you're still reading you can imagine how much time I lose that way :-).

I read information here but still don't fully understand how Aquamail handles drafts.  A note to explain, if I select yes, a draft is saved, but on Thunderbird desktop imap a new draft would be saved, so I've learned to say "No" so as to save original draft, rather than an often unchanged copy of that draft retaining both and causin drafts folder chaos.

I want:  draft of current message being composed to auto save, cache, and upload to the server at a short, regular interval.  If I complete and send the message, any cached "draft" version would be deleated, on the device and on the server (if applicable).  I also want drafts on the server to synchronize/push to Aqaumail in a similar way.

I couldn't easily devise a test before buying the app; the complexity of creating a valid test is beyond my capabilities.  What would help is an understanding of how draft messages are handled by Aquamail and perhaps guidance as to configure the desired behavior.

While some folks won't resonate with my needs, I hope I have at least described them in a coherent way.

Thank You!  I had worked in the "messaging" industry for many years and am incredibly impressed by the scope and quality of the Aquamail product.

Mark
(Credentials avail but not advertised here)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:56:23 am by mrbonine »