Author Topic: Smart Folder - Starred Only  (Read 4923 times)

phred

Smart Folder - Starred Only
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:23:21 pm »
Using v1.16.0-1167. I have searched the forum and read the FAQ and either something has changed, or I've taken a couple of extra stupid pills today.

I want messages that I star to appear in the smart folder. It shouldn't matter if they're marked read or unread. It shouldn't matter if they're newly received or a week (or more) old. If the message is starred, it should appear in the smart folder.

In app settings > smart folder I have it enabled. I have the time period set for all current (what defines 'current'?) and I have tried setting only unread, ten minutes, and three days. I have include starred messages enabled.

A long-press on the account > options and folders > folders > settings wheel for inbox 'show in smart folder is enabled.

When I go to this account's message list and star a read message, it does not appear in the smart folder. The only messages appearing in the smart folder are my unread messages.

I'm fairly certain this was working the way I want in one of the earlier 1.15 versions, but I'm not 100% sure.

Has something changed? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a little bug hiding out in the smart folder?

Help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:26:23 pm by phred »

phred

Re: Smart Folder - Starred Only
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:10:26 pm »
Bump

phred

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 07:26:04 pm »
Downloaded & installed AquaMail-market-1.16.0-1173 and it's still not working as expected/desired. And as I -think- it worked in 1.15.x.

What I'm looking for is for -any- starred message to appear in the Smart Folder. Right now only unread messages are in the Smart Folder. It's fine if unread messages are in the SF, but if should read it and then 'star' it, it should -remain- in the SF. Any message, from any account. Star it and it appears in the SF.

@Paris Geek: Can you confirm you're getting the behavior I'm describing? (It also looks like you deleted the message you posted that stated it's working correctly in the latest build. I'm guessing you deleted your post because it's not working as you said.)

Thanks.

phred

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:20 pm »
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android 8.0.

Smart Folder Settings (SF enabled, Starred messages enabled, time period is one month, but tried other options with no success)

Account list with total of 3 unread messages, none starred, all in SF

Message has been read and starred

Account list with 2 unread and one read. The one read message has been starred. SF should show 3 but is only showing 2

phred

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 01:29:05 am »
Do you see the starred message in Smartfolder? Can you post a screenshot of the content of your Smart folder?
The -only- messages in the Smart Folder as messages that are unread. Starred or otherwise. A starred message in the SF disappears as soon as it is read or marked as read. I will post a screen shot of the SF later if still necessary.

In account list settings, try to change the "Total" displayed or not. See attached screenshot. I am not sure to understand your issue. Is it the counter display (of Smart folder) or the messages inside thr Smart folder?
For account list settings, I had "show per folder total message counts set to 'never'" and changed it to 'always' with no change. The issue is a) the messages in the SF are all unread messages from each account. Once I mark them read, they're gone from the SF even if they remain in the account inbox. The counter display of the SF is accurate for the number of messages that are in each inbox.

What I'm trying to do is only have starred messages represented in the inbox. For example, an account has two read messages in the inbox and one is starred. Only that starred message should be in the inbox, with a SF count of one. Currently with that example, the count is two and both messages are in the SF.

The default value of this option "Show per-folder 'total' message counts" has changed in the new version.
Now it's "Never" (decided by the designer to get a 'cleaner' view), before it was something else (probably "always").
Try to check that option, in Account list settings.
Your feedback will help.
Yes, changing it from 'never' to always made the count go from "3" to "3/3" and if one of those messages were read, then the count of the SF (and the count of the inbox) shows as "2/3".

Thanks for your help and I'm will to keep trying suggestions as long has you have suggestions. But I guess the question becomes, can/does AM do what I want? -ONLY- show messages with stars in the Smart Folder. No matter if they're marked read or unread.

phred

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 02:36:03 am »
Good information. I  do indeed have "include starred messages" enabled. But a -read- message that is starred -does not- appear in the SF. And yes, I do have "show in Smart Folder" enabled at the account level.

mikeone

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 07:15:27 am »
Hi Phred,

You could try the following settings:

In Settings (screenshot #1):
Smart Folder time period = 'Only unread'
Starred messages = enabled

In Smart Folder
Tap the 'three-lined' button on the top left to show the 'Navigation drawer' (screenshot #2):
Starred messages = enabled
Send messages = enabled / disabled (as desired)
Only unread = activated (Radio button)

And - of course - in Account settings > Folders: enable 'Show in Smart Folder' for every desired folder
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:16:13 pm by mikeone »

phred

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 01:57:22 pm »
Thank you both for putting up with me. After turning on the phone this morning the Smart Folder appears to be working as expected. Last night with nothing in the SF, I starred two read messages from the inboxes of two accounts. They did not appear in the SF. I turned the phone off, went to bed. Today I turned the phone on and the two read messages that I starred last night were now in the SF. How? Why now? I don't know as no settings were changed overnight while the phone was off.

I've created a backup (of course) and will keep an eye on things as mail comes in during the course of the day. Once a day or two has passed and I see that it's still working as I want, I'll consider this issue resolved.

Thanks again for the help.