Author Topic: Important announcement concerning the Aqua Mail Unlocker Pro users  (Read 28791 times)

iainmann

Re: Important announcement concerning the Aqua Mail Unlocker Pro users
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2023, 04:41:37 am »
So when I bought a lifetime licence, it actually isn't for a lifetime. It's until the developer wants to stop it. Maintaining current features etc but withholding future developments and new features is not a lifetime. I'm still alive and plan to be for a bit longer, during which time  I expected to get all future updates and improvements and not be left with what will end up as a poor relation to subscribers.
Our intention buying the one-fee licence was to support Aqua Mail for ever. Now, we're being told that is not happening but we'll be allowed to drift in what will be a half developed app.
Your respect and care for your early adopters is nil. Stick us in with Premium Features (they're just the features we expected to get with our licence) and have some respect for your supporters.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 04:44:05 am by iainmann »

Michael Maslarov, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2023, 12:31:27 pm »
I'm the biggest critic of AM when they make poor decisions, in this case I can see the justification for doing this if they give us all the current premium features and continue to provide OS stability/security/bug fixes.

Companies have to make money to stay afloat and hire competent developers. Have you tried to work with single point of failure open source developer long term?

Sure this upsets you as a Pro user like myself, but you have to put yourself in their shoes and look at the long term implications of not doing this. $30 for a year doesn't even pay for a developer for 1 hour. This is a business not a hobby for the folks keeping AM relevant.

Hi arf8,

you are absolutely right about the funding of the business and I am quoting your message. The problem with the communication for the last week is that we are trying to address multiple actions that we are taking and it's a bit challenging to convey the message simply and easy to understand from everyone. Together with going away from the Pro Unlocker, aside from trying to limit some piracy risks, we are also looking forward to making a sustainable business model for Aqua Mail so that we can keep evolving and developing the app. We recently introduced an iOS version and many other things are in the pipeline.

As we said before, users with Pro will get the updates as you mentioned and keep the current pro features. They don't need to stay with an old version, as it is better to get the updates that come with the free version.

eheartshine

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2023, 02:06:11 pm »
What needs to happen is AM needs to release a statement with an immutable list of the features that Pro users will retain access to. (Namely, the most recent checklist that was floated.) Specifically, we need assurances that the image here [nofollow] (also mirrored in this post) will not change anything in the Pro column moving forward.

It is obvious that AM is back-pedaling to avoid bad reviews and PR, and we need some way to be sure that these concessions stay the way they are and not regress back to the earlier missing feature list.

A simple post of, "we heard you, and we've changed the feature list accordingly, here it is in text:" would do wonders to improve the general opinion here.

arcyd

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2023, 02:45:15 pm »
You have a great app which I have been using for more than ten years if I remember correctly (I bought the PRO licence right away).
I understand that you need a subscription based payment scheme in order to keep the app up to date but:
1. Don't alienate your long time users and best advocates (I think you have already taken steps to correct this).
2. Please consider a sensible price! 30 dollars per year is not even close to a sensible price as long as you don't want your app to be considered as a luxury item!

arf8

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2023, 07:53:31 pm »
I'm the biggest critic of AM when they make poor decisions, in this case I can see the justification for doing this if they give us all the current premium features and continue to provide OS stability/security/bug fixes.

Companies have to make money to stay afloat and hire competent developers. Have you tried to work with single point of failure open source developer long term?

Sure this upsets you as a Pro user like myself, but you have to put yourself in their shoes and look at the long term implications of not doing this. $30 for a year doesn't even pay for a developer for 1 hour. This is a business not a hobby for the folks keeping AM relevant.

Hi arf8,

you are absolutely right about the funding of the business and I am quoting your message. The problem with the communication for the last week is that we are trying to address multiple actions that we are taking and it's a bit challenging to convey the message simply and easy to understand from everyone. Together with going away from the Pro Unlocker, aside from trying to limit some piracy risks, we are also looking forward to making a sustainable business model for Aqua Mail so that we can keep evolving and developing the app. We recently introduced an iOS version and many other things are in the pipeline.

As we said before, users with Pro will get the updates as you mentioned and keep the current pro features. They don't need to stay with an old version, as it is better to get the updates that come with the free version.

This is the first honest comms from AM. Why it took this long is beyond me.

I don't falter the decision, but the lack of candor needs to stop. AM will garner more user understanding and support of this decision if it's not obfuscated with piracy nonsense. Transparency goes a long way with educated people.

fidorulz

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2023, 10:20:49 pm »
As I see it grandfathering existing users with current features but allowing app updates (without new features) is fine but wouldn't that mean you would have to maintain 2 versions of the app?

Unless pro features we have now become standard for free users in the future then there would be one app tree for grandfathered customers and one for subscribers?

If that's the case then you will be giving yourself more work unless I'm wrong

Simplest way would be to provide a lifetime subscription option for existing pro users free of cost attached to the email used for the account linked to the purchase

As for making revenue I fully understand the need but the current price structure seems pretty high considering the competition out their with email apps.

Was there consideration in offering an ad supported version?

chris122380

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2023, 10:47:14 pm »
As I see it grandfathering existing users with current features but allowing app updates (without new features) is fine but wouldn't that mean you would have to maintain 2 versions of the app?

Unless pro features we have now become standard for free users in the future then there would be one app tree for grandfathered customers and one for subscribers?

If that's the case then you will be giving yourself more work unless I'm wrong

Simplest way would be to provide a lifetime subscription option for existing pro users free of cost attached to the email used for the account linked to the purchase

As for making revenue I fully understand the need but the current price structure seems pretty high considering the competition out their with email apps.

Was there consideration in offering an ad supported version?

I 100% agree with this comment and has been what I have been saying from the beginning. It looks like Aqua Mail is making more undo work for themselves by getting rid of two apps but now having two plans. Grandfather Pro users as premium users and have one plan. Need to use the kiss (keep it simple stupid) principal.

Thomas

• Just enjoying life...
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2023, 04:30:53 am »
So in other words... , going Pro we will stay on the actual feature list of AM but won't get new ones. That's simply fraud.
This company is so going down with it's ratings on Google Play store. AM is 3.2 points. With the original developer 4.6 and higher. That says it all.

I think my lawyer likes companies like this one.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

fidorulz

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2023, 04:37:36 am »
So in other words... , going Pro we will stay on the actual feature list of AM but won't get new ones. That's simply fraud.
This company is so going down with it's ratings on Google Play store. AM is 3.2 points. With the original developer 4.6 and higher. That says it all.

It's not fraud. You got a fully functional product and it still will work as it is currently.

Adding features in future versions isn't fraud much like upgrading your iPhone to get more features isn't fraud either.

chris122380

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2023, 08:44:37 am »

It's not fraud. You got a fully functional product and it still will work as it is currently.

Adding features in future versions isn't fraud much like upgrading your iPhone to get more features isn't fraud either.

The iPhone analogy is not a good analogy you still get updates, security patches, and many of the new features (unless hardware specific). You're not charged a yearly fee equal to the cost of the phone or more to get those updates and features which is exactly what Aqua Mail is doing (unless you buy a new phone each year which you're not required to do but in this case Aqua Mail is making you do so). In the case of Apple you're paying for the phone once and getting support for 5 years in the case of Aqua Mails recent change you would have had to have paid for the phone each year for 5 years to get the maximum support (Apple supports there devices with updates for 5 years). So in this analogy if you were to buy an iPhone 14 from Apple and use it for 5 years it would cost you $799 but if you were to buy it from Aqua Mail and use it for 5 years it would cost you $3,995. This is the reason why customers are so upset: they're being required to spend the cost of a pro license or more a year to keep current with a product they were promised would stay current when they purchased it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 08:46:09 am by chris122380 »

Wissertje

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2023, 11:06:42 am »
I have never come across a company that communicates so badly and answers when it suits them.

But what do you want. A new topic has been created for 5 days from someone who wants support. That guy doesn't even get a response here on a support forum. The Playstore responds with standard copy/paste messages.

When these guys took over aquamail, they knew there were Pro users with Unlocker app (and how many). Then you shouldn't cry that those same people no longer make money. I think it's pure scam the way they use it. The Pro unlocker app removed the limitation that the free app had. While now the Pro users are limited.

And then they want the grand prize for this app? I think someone is ready for a new Tesla or something?

While typing I don't really understand why I'm posting this, because I don't get a response to it anyway. I think all they hope is for the storm to lies down.

MickJ

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2023, 05:49:23 pm »
I have been mulling this for a day or two, and was in two minds to post post my comment, or wait to see what develops, but chose to make my comment rather than wait.

It is quite plain from the comments on here and on Google Play Store, that AM have made a marketing blunder when it came to pitching their product at the existing long term pro supporters of AM.

Even subsequent messages from AM, are still not comforting for pro users, having to wait on finally what and what will not occur, when they have paid for a lifetime licence.

The AM score on Google Play is dropping, and that will not be comforting to AM, especially when the comments and negativity are coming from long term supporters and users of the product.  This will have new users considering if AM is the product for them.

AM could address the negativity and frustration felt by simply agreeing to convert all existing pro users to a no cost lifetime Premium licence. 

That in one stroke AM could restore the good will,  have the negative comments on Google Play edited and turned to positive ones and give comfort to pro users that they will not be put in this situation again sometime in the future.  Plus a single system to maintain

arf8

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2023, 10:56:40 pm »

Hi arf8,

Why on earth would you have Martin reply to my email inquiry with a canned message about piracy?

The lack of candor just earned AM an appropriate review on Play after I deleted my initial review.

Until the AM marketing team gets their act straight you will not have much support!

chris122380

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2023, 11:37:17 pm »

Hi arf8,

I have a couple suggestions to this canned response.
1. Remove the pro unlocker and move existing users to lifetime premium.
2. Piracy risks, You're in the software industry what did you expect.
3. If you need a financial model for developing the app then charge for support not for the app. Use the forum for basic communications and basic support. Charge a subscription service for premium support (Email, phone support, or for in-depth step-by-step instructions).
4. Android users on Aqua Mail paid a one-time fee for Pro features they did not pay to be later on moved to a premium subscription model.
5. Since Aqua Mail is new to iOS why not charge the subscription for the iOS app rather than screwing existing Android customers?
6. Poor PR is hurting the company and ratings on the Play Store have been plummeting. If you don't fix this fast it's going to hurt more than just your pocketbook and it will do so for a long time. If you would fix this quickly and effectively to make everyone happy it will actually bring in business and money in the long term and not harm your business but the longer you take the bigger the hurt to your bottom line is going to be.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:39:35 pm by chris122380 »

mauiglide

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2023, 12:08:30 pm »
Bye Aqua Mail. Migrated all my email accounts to the stock Samsung email app and all is well. A hui ho.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk