Author Topic: Aqua mail going to subscription  (Read 16277 times)

Jeff

Re: Aqua mail going to subscription
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 02:52:07 am »
I haven't been to this forum in quite some time, but I came here to join the chorus of angry users that have already paid for the "Pro" version.  Very poor business practice to remove features from existing paid customers.  I too will be leaving AM unless this decision is changed.  Further, as an IT resource for countless friends and family, I will unfortunately no longer be able to recommend AM as I have for many years.

chris122380

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 07:10:28 am »
I use K9 it works well, Gmail is not bad either. AM for now unless they remove the basics I use.
I haven't downloaded K9 yet, but I assume it, like FairEmail, can't import existing email accounts, correct?

What do you mean by "import existing email accounts"?

I setup my Fairemail the way I like it and then export the settings so I have a backup if I need to reinstall Fairemail. I think Fairemail and it's many settings is closest to Aqua Mail then K-9. K9 is just way too basic and still lacks a lot of functionality.

What I like about Fairemail (no specific order):
1) quick response time from the developer
2) Can purchase through the Play Store but get the latest updates through GitHub
3) Export and import accounts and settings
4) Hide tracking pixels
5) Best documentation I've ever seen for any email app
6) Notification actions (Mark as read, delete, Spam, etc up to 3 actions can be selected).
7) I don't use this feature but I know it was having all kinds of issues in Aqua Mail but is available in Fairemail, Encryption/decryption supported (OpenPGP and S/MIME).
8) schedule email to be sent at a later date and time
9) confirm links before opening them (includes ability to select what browser to use)
10) virustotal integration (scan attachments for viruses)
11) ChatGPT integration (I have had recent issues with this but I think it's with the ChatGPT API and not with Fairemail)
12) LanguageTool integration for checking spelling and grammar
And many more settings and features
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 07:12:20 am by chris122380 »

Novox

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 10:05:57 am »
Thank you for your suggestion FaireMail. I will look into it. Very disappointed to see they remove the feature from old-Pro user.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 02:20:43 pm by Novox »

rarrar

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2023, 11:54:55 am »
In the list of Pro v Premium features:
Pro allows Unlimited Accounts - which I need as I have several mail boxes on my domain
BUT then says Pro  does not support "Moving between Accounts"
This doesnt seem to add up , or am I misunderstanding the features ?

Justin

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2023, 12:13:39 pm »
Currently there is a shitstorm in other forums and communities...

And nobody understands "Moving between Accounts"

sashlets

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2023, 02:02:59 pm »
I bought the pro version over 10 years ago when Kostya Vasiliev was the developer.
Now I'm being told that the pro features will be disabled and I need to upgrade to premium with a subscription.
I don't understand why I have to do this.

I'm not set up to pay for a subscription, I will look for other programs

p.s.
disable auto-update in google play

phred

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2023, 02:37:34 pm »
I haven't downloaded K9 yet, but I assume it, like FairEmail, can't import existing email accounts, correct?
[/quote]
I haven't tried K9 yet, but I tried FairEmail a couple of times over the past year or so. Having twelve email accounts seemed to take a lot of time to set up with FairEmail. I'm asking if there is a way to import all the account settings into FairEmail or K9. The POP/SMTP servers/ports, user name and (perhaps) password, etc.

chris122380

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2023, 02:50:58 pm »
I haven't tried K9 yet, but I tried FairEmail a couple of times over the past year or so. Having twelve email accounts seemed to take a lot of time to set up with FairEmail. I'm asking if there is a way to import all the account settings into FairEmail or K9. The POP/SMTP servers/ports, user name and (perhaps) password, etc.
[/quote]

I don't think there's a way to do this with any Android email app. I usually get it set up once with all my accounts and then make a backup so I don't ever have to set them up again (now if I have to re-enter a password because of a changed password or an account change I'll create a new backup after that)

phred

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2023, 03:03:00 pm »
I don't think there's a way to do this with any Android email app.
Nor do I after doing a lot of reading on the two email apps that we're discussing.

I usually get it set up once with all my accounts and then make a backup so I don't ever have to set them up again (now if I have to re-enter a password because of a changed password or an account change I'll create a new backup after that)
Exactly what I do with AM.

Michael Maslarov, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2023, 08:00:40 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'll try to explain as simply as possible and please feel free to let me know if there are any unclear points and I or Martin will respond.

The Unlocker app activates a license that includes these features:

● Push mail for Exchange (corporate email) in the Pro version
● Add multiple accounts
● Supports per-account identities (aliases)
● Removes the promo signature linking to this site to all outgoing messages
● Ad-free

As it is described in the description of the Unlocker in the Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail.UnlockerMarket&hl=en&gl=US&pli=1

The other thing is that the Unlocker licenses will not stop working from the end of September.  We have further described this in the help center here:
https://aquamail.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/77000547624

arf8

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2023, 08:48:39 pm »

I'll try to explain as simply as possible and please feel free to let me know if there are any unclear points and I or Martin will respond.

You and Martin still have not answered my simple question and everyone else's concern above about existing features.

Past Sept with the Pro account many of us have.

Will we be able to move emails between folders?
Will Priority notifications work?
Can we retain multiple email accounts?

If these features will be removed you can imagine how poor of a business decision this is for you.

rarrar

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2023, 09:54:34 pm »
While I understand the outrage many of us feel about the changes to the Pro version of Aquamail, I can fully understand that for long term development and support any App or internet service needs a funding stream.
There does seem a general move away from everything being "Free" on the internet , indirectly funded by Ads, donations and sometimes Business users.
Yes we paid for an unlocker to give us the Pro version, we could ask for a refund , AquaMail could argue that they have fullfilled their obligations by providing a working App on the version of Android we were using. I dont think the purchase included support for new versions of Android or even bug fixes ?
The reduced cost of the 1st year of the Premium version is a sort of  half-way house to a refund.
I will reluctantly take out a subscription to Premium even though I dont use (or understand) a large number of the facilities seemingly aimed at Corporate email system like Exchange.
I know it works and provides me with a very reliable  sort of Android version of Thunderbird to access the multiple mailboxes I have on my own personal domains.

arf8

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2023, 10:24:23 pm »
You snap the line at this point if they want to offer new features. To retroactively go back and take away basic functions is wrong and greedy period.

You and Martin still have not answered my simple question and everyone else's concern above about existing features.

Past Sept with the Pro account many of us have.

Will we be able to move emails between folders?
Will Priority notifications work?
Can we retain multiple email accounts?

If these features will be removed you can imagine how poor of a business decision this is for you.

mkgtu

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2023, 10:35:58 pm »
Michael Maslarov said:
I'll try to explain as simply as possible and please feel free to let me know if there are any unclear points.....

Explanation was simple but incomplete. It was clear that Pro Unlocker users will keep access ONLY to those "extra" features which were available when the Unlocker was last updated and described in the Google Play Store. Namely:

Push mail for Exchange (corporate email) in the Pro version
● Add multiple accounts
● Supports per-account identities (aliases)
● Removes the promo signature linking to this site to all outgoing messages
● Ad-free

So, we keep these few "perks", but in September will LOSE ACCESS to features that were added over the intervening (almost) four years and which are now included in the "Premium" subscription. Namely, WE LOSE these - and ONLY these features? And it is these features for which we would pay the $30 or so a year?:

- Manage Filters for Outlook
- Unsubscribe
- Priority Notifications
- End-to-end Encryption
- Open & Save EML files
- Copy Email to Folder
- Move msgs btwn folders
- Delete Folders
- Move emails btwn Accounts
- Back up Emails

In the Google Play description for the current app there is also a separate list of "advanced" features, just above the list of "premium" features. I assume all these "advanced" features must be included in the "free" version and are described as "advanced" only for advertising purposes? They are still available to all users (free, Pro, Premium)? Correct?

ADVANCED FEATURES
- Smart folder - unify & organize all messages from different accounts
• Contacts and Calendar Sync for Exchange and Office 365 - compatible with any Calendar app or widgets
• Home screen widgets - check priority emails at a glance
• Android Wear Smartwatch integration
• Save your emails as PDF (but not as .eml files)
• Unique Signature support - attach a different signature to each account (images, links, text formatting, HTML signature)
• Back up/restore settings on the device, via the cloud (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive), or a file
• Battery saving options
• Email notifications (but not Priority notifications)

I hope this makes clear what we keep as well as what we lose, for now anyway. I'd appreciate corrections or clarifications.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

arf8

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2023, 10:46:01 pm »
There is a deliberate reason for the deflection in answering the simple question i posted. They know it will cause a shit storm with legacy and grandfathered users who has had these features for years.

Martin/Michael, I highly encourage you to reconsider where you snap the line in the sand with features and capabilities you want people to pay for in a premium service. Retroactively cherry picking features we have had for years will only upset your base. But do as you wish, there is not only options for other apps, but there is other options as well which is exactly what you are trying to prevent.

My review in play store reflects this move as is a number of others preceding mine.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 10:50:19 pm by arf8 »