Author Topic: Aqua mail going to subscription  (Read 16142 times)

chris122380

Re: Aqua mail going to subscription
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2023, 06:15:42 am »
Hi everyone,

We would like to extend our sincerest apologies and provide some clarification regarding recent developments.

Starting from September 30th, we will no longer update the "Pro Unlocker" as part of our proactive measures against piracy. The Pro Unlocker was being sold as a separate APK and is an old method for purchasing in Google Play from the time when in-app purchases were still not popular. Currently, there are 2 existing Apps - Aqua Mail and Aqua Mail Pro Unlocker. We aim to drop out the Pro Unlocker App, so we can only maintain the Aqua Mail App. Therefore you will be reissued a Pro license in the Aqua Mail App. So this will make the UX even better for our Pro users and they won't need to download and use two APKs.

We will be introducing a migration to which users with the Unlocker, including the "PAYPRO" license and those using codes, will be migrated.

Migrated "PRO" users (This will not be a subscription plan) will retain access to the features they used in Aqua Mail. They will receive regular updates including compatibility and security improvements, except for newly introduced features like "Unsubscribe" and others that will be exclusive to "Premium". It's important to note that subscribing to the "Premium" is not mandatory for "PRO" users, it's only optional.

We are striving to make the transition as smooth and convenient as possible for everyone. Further instructions will be provided to guide you through this process.

We truly appreciate your feedback and support.

Regards,

The Aqua Mail Team

What about Google family library users? Are they suddenly going to be screwed out of the so that has been shared with them for years? Because subscriptions can't be shared if I'm not mistaken.

I hadn't thought about the Family library users, you make a good point. I originally enabled Family library to allow my kids to use a simple usable email app besides Gmail (I don't think they still use it but that's not the point). Why allow family library on the Pro app in the first place if the family can't use it anymore?

RavenSoft

« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2023, 08:09:23 pm »
By not responding I'm going to take that as being that all my family I share the app with will be screwed over by this change... Naturally to try to get them to pay for the app which will never happen at $30 per user per year.

alpine101

« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2023, 03:47:20 pm »
I'm totally baffled by whatever is going on, the app i run on my phone is called 'Aquamail Premium'. But all of a sudden the usual automatic shrinking of images when I click the link to Aquamail in my Gallery, isn't shrinking the image I try to send, Aquamail just says this is  very large image.  I know that, that's why it needs autmatically shrinking  before sending!!

mkgtu

« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2023, 05:08:03 pm »
In the settings, look under "composing and sending". There is a setting there to "Shrink large images". You can set it to whatever size you want.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

alpine101

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2023, 05:18:59 pm »
Doesn't work, I set it to small and when I click on the 40MB image in the Gallery app to send it to Aquamail , the popup says it's 40MB! Used to be fine until today.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 05:21:38 pm by alpine101 »

mkgtu

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2023, 06:38:50 pm »
That's a pretty large image. I've never had an issue with AquaMail or any other email app recently, but back when email apps didn't do their own resizing I used to use photo editors. There are lots of them in the store. I usually used Image Shrink by Olive Labs, or Photo and Picture Resizer by Farluner Apps and Games.

40mb just might be too large a file for AquaMail to shrink.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

alpine101

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2023, 06:49:35 pm »
It's been fine until today with the same phone. Most odd. Unless I've accidentally changed the resolution. But I'm sure until today, Aquamail has popped up a thing to ask me whether I want the image re-sizing. Now, even with the settings set to small, no resizing takes place so I have to resort to Imageshrink.

b8drf

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2023, 10:31:00 am »
Having supported Aquamail via a full purchase many years ago, I find the way Pro users are being treated via the new subscription model totally unnacepptable.

I am therefore migrating away to an alternative.

I have always been a big fan of Thunderbird on various desktop platforms and now the Thunderbird team are migrating the old K-9 mail client code into Thunderbird for Android, I will be using that. Free, open source with no corporate greed involved!

nadir husain

« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2023, 11:21:13 am »
I can understand developers also have to feed themselves and paying a one time charge of USD 5( at least that is what I paid) when Kostya was developing this app as a hobby or part time income is not the same as developers being at it all the time. However they should not treat long time users the same as new users. Perhaps a nominal yearly or two yearly fee (perhaps $5) for the old pro users would have been fair.  However they have decided otherwise. Good luck to them! I don't see Aqua lasting beyond a couple of years with newer better apps which either have a one time charge , are donation based or if they have subscription they have multi platform (with one subscription) and advanced features.

chris122380

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2023, 04:21:57 pm »
I can understand developers also have to feed themselves and paying a one time charge of USD 5( at least that is what I paid) when Kostya was developing this app as a hobby or part time income is not the same as developers being at it all the time. However they should not treat long time users the same as new users. Perhaps a nominal yearly or two yearly fee (perhaps $5) for the old pro users would have been fair.  However they have decided otherwise. Good luck to them! I don't see Aqua lasting beyond a couple of years with newer better apps which either have a one time charge , are donation based or if they have subscription they have multi platform (with one subscription) and advanced features.

I agree with you but when Kostya was developing this app we were getting better communication and more frequent updates. Why all of a sudden when there should be a team of programmers is there less updates and less communication?

chris122380

« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2023, 04:25:24 pm »
Having supported Aquamail via a full purchase many years ago, I find the way Pro users are being treated via the new subscription model totally unnacepptable.

I have always been a big fan of Thunderbird on various desktop platforms and now the Thunderbird team are migrating the old K-9 mail client code into Thunderbird for Android, I will be using that. Free, open source with no corporate greed involved!

I can't use K-9 Mail it still lacks a lot of features that were available in Aquamail and other basic Android email apps. However I am keeping an eye on it. I use Fairemail which is open source and not run by business either. I was upset that Thunderbird hadn't gone with using that email app since it had more of the features one would find in Thunderbird then what was in and what is currently in K-9 Mail. Fairemail also receives more frequent updates than Aquamail or K-9 Mail. So I'm sticking with Fairemail for now.

b8drf

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2023, 04:31:33 pm »

I can't use K-9 Mail it still lacks a lot of features that were available in Aquamail and other basic Android email apps. However I am keeping an eye on it. I use Fairemail which is open source and not run by business either. I was upset that Thunderbird hadn't gone with using that email app since it had more of the features one would find in Thunderbird then what was in and what is currently in K-9 Mail. Fairemail also receives more frequent updates than Aquamail or K-9 Mail. So I'm sticking with Fairemail for now.
Thanks. I will try Fairemail out.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk