Author Topic: Which browser links open in  (Read 5519 times)

someone

Which browser links open in
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:39:09 pm »
Recently I've noticed that when I click on a Web link in an email opened in Aquamail, the link opens in what appears to be a built-in browser. I don't get asked which browser to use even though I don't have any browser marked as default.

What is the browser AM opens links in? Can I change this behavior so I select the browser to use?

phred

Re: Which browser links open in
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:51:57 pm »
There's no default browser setting within AM. You can override the AM browser by choosing your default browser in your Android settings. Look under Apps > Default > Browser

StR

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:15:30 pm »
I haven't played with it myself, but I believe it uses Chrome if installed, and probably nothing else.

someone

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:57:50 pm »
I haven't played with it myself, but I believe it uses Chrome if installed, and probably nothing else.
I think you may be right. I froze chrome to make it "unavailable" and now when I click on a link in AM I am asked which browser to use.

I then unfroze chrome (in Tibu) and the emailed link no longer asks me which browser to use. Even though is not set as a default browser.

IMHO, this is a new behavior and not ideal.

StR

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 12:03:10 am »
IMHO, this is a new behavior and not ideal.
You have an option of switching it off, so it will be "as before".
It is useful to some people, who like it this way, as I wrote above.

someone

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 12:54:16 am »
I think those who would prefer it this way could easily make Chrome the default and having it this way.

I don't think I'm the only one who prefers to preserve the option of using different browsers depending on the situation. Isn't AM about choices? This forces a specific path.

StR

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:53:14 am »

someone

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 03:17:20 am »
I would love to. How?

Sorry. Found it.

Great app.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:25:19 am by someone »

phred

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 03:37:35 am »
I have Chrome installed (don't -all- Android phones have it installed?) and I also have Firefox installed and set as the default browser (in Android settings.) AM has never used anything but Firefox for opening URL links.

StR

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 04:50:22 am »
Found it.
There's an app function for that   ;)

I have Chrome installed (don't -all- Android phones have it installed?) and I also have Firefox installed and set as the default browser (in Android settings.) AM has never used anything but Firefox for opening URL links.
I can easily imagine that some custom-made ROMs and rooted phones can have no Chrome installed.
Besides, even if it installed, you can disable it.

We are talking about "opening links inside Aquamail", which became available only recently.
If Aquamail doesn't open a link withing itself, either you haven't updated to that version, or you have disabled that option. (Or you just haven't opened any links since the recent update.)
Or, maybe Chrome is disabled (Settings -> apps -> {Chrome} -> disable. One user has reported in another thread that disabling Chrome also disables opening links inside Aquamail.

phred

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 06:01:38 am »
We are talking about "opening links inside Aquamail", which became available only recently.
If Aquamail doesn't open a link withing itself, either you haven't updated to that version, or you have disabled that option. (Or you just haven't opened any links since the recent update.)
Or, maybe Chrome is disabled (Settings -> apps -> {Chrome} -> disable. One user has reported in another thread that disabling Chrome also disables opening links inside Aquamail.
My phone is powered down right now so I can't check the build, but it's one of the recent 'work in progress' betas.

And are you saying that with the recent version, that the 'internal' browser opens when clicking on links overriding the device setting Firefox as the default browser?