Author Topic: Can't backup to Dropbox  (Read 5571 times)

mkgtu

Can't backup to Dropbox
« on: November 01, 2021, 01:20:34 am »
I'm on the latest version 1.32.0.1872 (Oct 31), though I'm not sure that's the issue.
Just tried backing up accounts and settings. Works ok for local device, but not Dropbox. I know Dropbox has worked in the past because I have a backup there from 8 months ago.
   On the backup screen there's a "copy to Dropbox"  option, but if I try to check the box that screen just crashes/closes.
   Either this is a bug, I'm doing something wrong, or I've forgotten how I ever logged into or backed up to Dropbox previously. I don't back up very often because I rarely change settings.
   I also don't see where I would connect to Dropbox (in case I'm no longer connected)— or Google Drive or Onedrive, the other two options.

Screenshot is of the backup screen, but if I check "copy to Dropbox" the screen disappears, reverts to the previous screen, and nothing gets backed up anywhere, even local.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
Re: Can't backup to Dropbox
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 03:05:02 pm »
Hi,

Can you please check if you have a file called log-AquaMail-crash.txt in your phone's Downloads folder? If you do, please send it to support@aqua-mail.com. If you don't, please start a regular log file from Settings > About > Debug and recreate this problem so it is recorded in the log. After that, send the log to us.

Thank you for your report!
Martin

chris122380

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:50 pm »
I'm on the latest version 1.32.0.1872 (Oct 31), though I'm not sure that's the issue.
Just tried backing up accounts and settings. Works ok for local device, but not Dropbox. I know Dropbox has worked in the past because I have a backup there from 8 months ago.
   On the backup screen there's a "copy to Dropbox"  option, but if I try to check the box that screen just crashes/closes.
   Either this is a bug, I'm doing something wrong, or I've forgotten how I ever logged into or backed up to Dropbox previously. I don't back up very often because I rarely change settings.
   I also don't see where I would connect to Dropbox (in case I'm no longer connected)— or Google Drive or Onedrive, the other two options.

Screenshot is of the backup screen, but if I check "copy to Dropbox" the screen disappears, reverts to the previous screen, and nothing gets backed up anywhere, even local.

The screenshot shows you didn't click the checkbox that says "copy to". If that box is checked and Dropbox is selected from the drop down then it will copy the backup to Dropbox. You always need to make sure that the "copy to" is checked if backing up to a cloud service.

mkgtu

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 05:13:56 pm »
Ah, but that's the problem — I CAN'T check that box. When I tap on the box to check it, that screen just goes away (closes, crashes, whatever you want to call it) and you're back to the previous screen.
   If you leave the box alone you can tap OK and back things up to a local folder without a problem.

mkgtu

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 05:45:11 pm »
I should also note that on that page:

- at the top I CAN tap the "copy from" Dropbox and it opens Dropbox so i can choose the file

- in the "copy from" I can also use the drop-down to choose Onedrive or Google instead.

- but in the "copy to" at the bottom,  Dropbox is greyed out and there is no drop-down available to choose another cloud to copy to.

So it seems the "copy to" just isn't functioning. But the "copy from" is working fine.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 05:46:57 pm by mkgtu »

chris122380

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 07:28:05 pm »
It's working correctly for me. Maybe clear the apps cache. I tried posting a video but apparently that's to big.

Clicking the check box and picking which service to backup to worked without any issues for me.

mkgtu

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 09:16:35 pm »
Must be something wrong with my setup then because when I check that "copy to" box the check is added briefly and that page just closes.
   It's so brief that I can't actually see the check added,  but I did a screen recording in which I can see that there is a check in the box. I can only see it because my finger isn't blocking my view in the recording! In real life it all happens so quickly I can't get my finger off the box before the page closes.

mkgtu

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 09:29:15 pm »
It's working correctly for me. Maybe clear the apps cache. I tried posting a video but apparently that's to big.

Clicking the check box and picking which service to backup to worked without any issues for me.
Just curious. Are you also using the most recently released stable version 1.32.0-1872?

I just installed that when it became available to me on Saturday Oct 30

mkgtu

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 10:04:00 pm »

Just curious. Are you also using the most recently released stable version 1.32.0-1872?

Version may not make any difference. I ininstalled then de-installed the current version. Same problem with "copy to".

I then uninstalled again and installed the previous version 1.31.0-1857, from Sept 13. Same result.

Like I said, I don't change settings very often, so I don't backup very often. Before yesterday my last backup was in February. And, curiously, that backup is also in Dropbox so things must have been working back then.

I have backed up apk versions of AM going back forever, so I guess I could keep rolling back. But it's not worth it. I have a third party sync app (Folder Sync - by Tech Dynamics) that I use to sync a lot of folders from internal memory to external sd card, as well as to cloud accounts. So the AquaMail backups end up in Dropbox that way.

chris122380

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 02:52:07 am »

Yes, I am using the current version and I have never seen this issue with the current version or older versions. Makes me wonder if something else is interfering with AquaMail.

mkgtu

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 03:19:11 am »
I presume there is some other interference or a missing permission. Hoping they can find something in the logs I sent.

And it isn't just Dropbox. As long as I can't make that check "stick" in "copy to", I can't access the drop-down list to even switch to Onedrive or Google Drive!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 03:23:41 am by mkgtu »

mkgtu

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 03:43:45 am »
I also checked Dropbox in a web browser to see if AquaMail was even a "connected app". It's not listed, but other Android apps with access to Dropbox are listed. Maybe AM doesn't need to be a "connected" app if it just creates files in the local Dropbox Android app on the phone.

But that did give me a chance to disconnect a dozen or two apps that I connected 8 or 9 years ago, apps I no longer have or use, or that maybe don't even exist anymore!

How things change.

mkgtu

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 04:05:12 am »

To add to the puzzle I just checked my Samsung Tab A tablet and the "copy to" In backup works fine. And that is also the latest version.

But then the tablet is still Android 9, whereas my phone is Android 11. That may make a difference.

The screenshot is from the tablet

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

chris122380

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 06:28:09 am »
So very strange. Do you have it set to allow all the permissions for AquaMail? I'm running Oxygen OS 11 which is based off of Android 11 and I don't have the same issue. I'm hoping they are able to find something in the logs for you. What phone are you using?

mkgtu

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 09:10:36 am »
So very strange. Do you have it set to allow all the permissions for AquaMail? I'm running Oxygen OS 11 which is based off of Android 11 and I don't have the same issue. I'm hoping they are able to find something in the logs for you. What phone are you using?
Samsung Galaxy S10+, Android 11

All the permissions are granted. But note the "storage" permission is for "media", not "all files", which is not a option because I guess AM doesn't request it. Don't know if that makes any difference.

I've also noted in another bug report that there are no longer any options on the Data/Storage page in settings to choose where to store cache and downloads.