Author Topic: Exchange Pushmail  (Read 5208 times)

rshchuerer

Exchange Pushmail
« on: December 14, 2016, 09:48:47 pm »
Hello

I was very excited to see the Exchange push mail support in the latest update (from the Google play store).

After deleting and recreating my accounts I see that AquaMail starts a synchronization as soon as a mail arrives but the problem is that this synchronization now takes up to 30 minutes (with Wifi and an20MBit internet connection) compared to maybe 30 seconds before.
If I switch in my inbox folder the new mail is immediately there despite that the synchronization is still running.

I'm using the Microsoft Office 365 Exchange server.
My Inbox has about 93000 mails (40667 unread) but this was never a problem for Aqua mail so far.
The app is set to sync 250 mails and to cache 500 mails and in the account settings to 1 month to sync and 2 month to keep.

Regards,
Reinhard

StR

Re: Exchange Pushmail
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:37:02 pm »
 the problem is that this synchronization now takes up to 30 minutes (with Wifi and an20MBit internet connection) compared to maybe 30 seconds before.
If I switch in my inbox folder the new mail is immediately there despite that the synchronization is still running.

How do you know that it takes up to 30 minutes? Are you judging by the presence of the icon in the notifications? That might be the icon indicating PUSH being active.
(I believe you can switch that notification off.) I am not using EWS, but I assume that should be similar to that for IMAP (in appearance and options).

I'm using the Microsoft Office 365 Exchange server.
My Inbox has about 93000 mails (40667 unread) but this was never a problem for Aqua mail so far.
The app is set to sync 250 mails and to cache 500 mails and in the account settings to 1 month to sync and 2 month to keep.

The account settings override the app settings. How many messages do you have within a month? Could that be too high number? (If indeed the sync takes very long, this could be the culprit.) You can go to 3-dot menu -> About  and see the numbers after "Messages.sqldb".

mikeone

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 10:53:56 pm »
(I believe you can switch that notification off.) I am not using EWS, but I assume that should be similar to that for IMAP (in appearance and options).

Just in case:
You will find this option in Settings > Look and feel > turn off "Notification during sync and push"

rshchuerer

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:04:13 pm »
The progress bar inside the app, CPU usage and the network traffic caused by the app. But after about 2 or 3 hours it finally stopped and now the problem is gone as the progress bar is now only showing up for a second or two after a new mail arrived.

Glad that's now working with push mail as I now can uninstall other mail apps which I just used to get notification about new mails.

Regards,
Reinhard

mikeone

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:08:29 pm »
Reinhard:
Thanks for your feedback.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 01:02:50 am »
Re: The progress bar inside the app, CPU usage and the network traffic caused by the app. But after about 2 or 3 hours it finally stopped and now the problem is gone as the progress bar is now only showing up for a second or two after a new mail arrived.

When using push, the app turns on "sync by X number of days", it's a technical requirement.

And then it's able to do "incremental" sync, getting just changes every time, which is what you want for push.

But:

To get there, to establish a "baseline" for this "incremental", it essentially has to ask the Exchange server to "replay" the creation of every single existing message in your account, folder by folder.

It ignores / skips / rejects the messages that are outside the set date range, but the way Exchange works, this data has to be retrieved and exchanged between the server and the app.

Unfortunately, there is no faster way to establish a "baseline" for "incremental" sync, the way there is for IMAP (for example).

EmClient (Windows mail app), which also uses EWS to connect to Exchange, works the same way, I've seen it in their FAQ.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

Taepoong

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 01:23:06 pm »
Hi, I just the title but couldn't find the answer to my problem here.

I just installed the newest version. Although aqua mail should be able to process push service with exchange servers. I still do not receive emails by push. Any special seeing needed. The server I am connecting to is a genuine exchange server. Any other special protocol needed?  Thank you everybody.

mikeone

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 06:11:49 pm »
Hi, I just the title but couldn't find the answer to my problem here.

I just installed the newest version. Although aqua mail should be able to process push service with exchange servers. I still do not receive emails by push. Any special seeing needed. The server I am connecting to is a genuine exchange server. Any other special protocol needed?  Thank you everybody.
Hi Taepoong,
You should find an answer to solve your problem in this thread:
http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5240.0

Taepoong

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:00:41 am »
Dear Mikeone,

I already set the settings as you suggested. It still doesn't work. In the account setting, where push mail can be enabled, now the text of the push mail changed to it seems that this server doesn't support push.

...which quite surprising. When I just use the Android mail app. Push service with the exchange server works fine. Has it to do with EWS, OWA  or active sync?

Thx

StR

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 10:22:46 am »
...which quite surprising. When I just use the Android mail app. Push service with the exchange server works fine. Has it to do with EWS, OWA  or active sync?
Most likely, that's the problem. (Especially if Aquamail tells you that the server doesn't support EWS push.)
In the thread that mikeone referenced, you can read Kostya's explanation: http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5240.msg30810#msg30810