Author Topic: Identities "From" - bug  (Read 3669 times)

mclei

Identities "From" - bug
« on: September 26, 2015, 12:09:30 pm »
Identities are not working correctly. Even worse they lies.

I have configured different identities. But when I send email from non default priority, the sent email has "From" header filled with email from my default priority. BUT! email stored to "Sent" folder on Imap server has "From" field filled with right address. So sent email and stored email are DIFFERENT!

M.

mikeone

Re: Identities "From" - bug
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:24:53 pm »
@mclai:
I just tested the "Identity" feature with my Gmail account in AquaMail with the following result:

I sent a message with my.identity@identity.com through my original Gmail account [my.name@gmail.com]

1. in AquaMail's Sent folder it's displayed (as sender): my.identity@identity.com

2. in AquaMail's Inbox (my recipients account) it's showing (as sender):
my.name@gmail.com

3. Reply (from the recipients account) is sending to: my.name@gmail.com

4. in AquaMail's Inbox (the "reply-to" account) is accordingly: my.name@gmail.com - not: my.identity@identity.com

#1 and #4 on the server side is displaying the same as AquaMail's IMAP folders - as expected: my.name@gmail.com

The Message header from the received message shows the following adresses:

return-path: my.name@gmail.com
X-Google-Original-From: my.identity@identity. com

I'm sure that this behavior is because I haven't configured / authorized my Gmail account on the server side properly for the identity feature:

"Setting up aliases at Gmail - Part 1":
http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=1324.0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:06:25 pm by mikeone »

StR

Re: Identities "From" - bug
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 06:51:03 pm »
@mclei:

This is not a fault of Aquamail.
The identities you are using must be allowed by the server.
You cannot just make up addresses and use them without any "authorization".
And that is a proper behavior of the servers. Nobody wants to be responsible for allowing you to send e-mails as if from mclei@domain.com if you do not own that address. That's why the server sends e-mails using your real account address (and probably name). What is saved in "Sent" by Aquamail (if that is configured), - is what you gave Aquamail, as Aquamail has no idea if your identity is allowed by the server or not -- that's YOUR responsibility.

(A technical detail: Aquamail actually sends the message with that identity, but then, if the identity is not configured with your Gmail account, Gmail rewrites the "From:" field.)

If you are using Gmail or Yahoo, you can do that. Follow the instructions that mikeone mentioned at the end of his posting.
With other providers, you may or may not be able to do that at all. Check your provider's support/FAQ pages for that information and/or contact its technical support to find out if and how you can set alternative identities.